.: Google, Facebook,Twitter discussing going down in protest of SOPA

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Google, Facebook,Twitter discussing going down in protest of SOPA

"This type of thing doesn’t happen because companies typically don’t want to put their users in that position. The difference is that these bills so fundamentally change the way the Internet works. People need to understand the effect this special-interest legislation will have on those who use the Internet." --Time.com


This article debates whether or not these sites should go completely offline when the time comes, or be replaced with a screen explaining why they are down, what they are protesting, etc. Me, being a little extreme, think that they should just be completely down. "Internet explorer cannot find the page you are looking for" should show up. And yes, I realize I just implied that anyone uses internet explorer in 2012. Will it spark more outrage? Probably. Will it confuse people who don't know about the blackout? Definitely.

People, on this day, will go to log into their facebooks first thing in the morning (like 48% of 20-30 year olds, true story), and they will see that it is down, they will wonder why, and they will go to google it, but nope, Google's down.

This will be a very boring day but it is well worth the outrage and media coverage it will receive. I wish I could tell you who to write to encourage these sites to do this, as I fully support the idea. Will keep you all updated if I find anything.

Read the full article here

[EDIT: It is also important to let people know that this bill will not do anything to stop online piracy, but will only inconvenience everyday users. It does not support IP blocking, which means that online pirates will still be able to access the sites they want to. More on this article I didn't read because I basically just summed it up: More here...]

26 comments:

  1. I think when you go to the site it should explain why its down saying and explaining to the loads of people who have no idea whats going on with this absurd bill what its about and what they can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am just thinking if they watch the news they can learn about it there, and if they don't they will undoubtedly hear why these sites were down when they are back up again. Facebook and Twitter will become the news source where people find out about this one thing we must fight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is unfortunate when the current administration is doing everything in their power to keep it out of the mouths of the media.

    This is exactly the kind of talk, however, that makes the lay-man believe you are a conspiracy theorist that fantasizes about life in the Matrix.

    It also has demonstrated to me that albeit technology continually improves and gets more efficient, people are less informed and increasingly clueless about the world around them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The media is sponsoring the bill, thats why it is not getting any coverage

      Delete
    2. The media is sponsoring the bill, thats why it is not getting any coverage

      Delete
  4. @Craig...True, it is unfortunate, I often wonder if this was Obama's second term if SOPA and NDAA would be more public. It is perfect timing to pass these bills because he is being really carful right now so he can win/lose this upcoming election.

    I'm not sure if people actually think you are a conspiracy theorist for speaking on these matters until some "disinfo" agent calls you a conspiracy theorist, and the rest just follow.

    And I'm not purely a conspiracy theorist, but I do fantasize about life in the matrix...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think if these sites protest this bill it will not be looked at as conspiracy at all. Not that they aren't "publicly" opposed to it, but if they send this message one day it will be big.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it takes something that drastic to stop sopa, then I'm all for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey I heard of your band through craigslist, are you doing shows anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good idea to explain dangers of SOPA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have to stop this SOPA thing going through at all costs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. god speed and crossing my fingers. I signed 3 petitions today.

    It's too bad nobody will pay attention to this type of post on Facebook. Yesterday I posted the NDAA on FB and a WHOPPING 2 friends replied or signed petitions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate SOPA, they only do shit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, SOPA may be bad, but the NDAA amendment is worse. Both have media blocks set up by the government, so many people have no clue what is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's really sad what's happening to USA these days... I hope it can be reverted

    ReplyDelete
  14. That would be very cool if they go through with it. It's a stupid law.

    ReplyDelete
  15. DAMN YOU SOPA! Without the internet ill have to read books again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. SOPA sucks. I like my internet the way it is right now....

    ReplyDelete
  17. yeah keep the interwebs the way it is! :D screw SOPA!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally against SOPA. It takes away our rights in the First Amendment. Freedom of speech will be denied, because if we posted anything "copyrighted" on facebook, youtube, etc, WE would get sued, and not the websites. So the websites would either go down so they don't take the risk, or have to constantly keep watch on the ~700,000,000 people on facebook, and I can't see anyone doing that. SOPA is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Every time I read about SOPA I get sick to my stomach. It's a very real threat to free speech on the internet, and it seems like not enough people even care. I just want to punch anyone who says it's not worth worrying about, one guy actually told me he wasn't going to protest the bill because he was convinced that it was just a ploy to catch pirates, and that if he signed any petitions he'd risk getting arrested.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Asking questions are actually nice thing if you are not understanding something completely, except this
    piece of writing offers nice understanding yet.
    Also see my page :: section

    ReplyDelete